Maya Angelou’s Words Of Wisdom
I was in my teens the first time I had the opportunity to encounter the artful expression of Maya Angelou. In fact, “I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings” really was the first book to rock my world and introduce me to the transformation and connection that belongs to the literary experience. Maya Angelou had a way of expressing the unexpressable by weaving words in a way that could only be explained as divinely guided. Her revelation of experiencing being speechless, mute, unable to speak – was riveting for me to witness through her writing. I also experienced an unusual period during childhood of being labeled deaf which I always attributed to the autism that I also lived with. After reading “I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings”, it occurred to me that the long moments of silence were likely attributed to traumatic experiences. There were many other uncanny parallels that I discovered about Maya Angelou’s life in comparison to my own. I read all about her unusual journey through multiple rich, autobiographies. Realizing how such a grand lady made similar choices and walked down similar lanes, reinforced my resolve to always be myself, unashamedly. Here are a few quotes that Maya Angelou is well noted for:
For all the young lovers –
allow her words to speak to you here.
1. If I am not good to myself, how can I expect anyone else to be good to me?
2. Have enough courage to trust love one more time and always one more time.
3. Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option.
4. When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.
5. We are only as blind as we want to be.
*This post contains affiliate links and we’ll earn a commission if you shop through them.
For everyone seeking inner and outer peace.
6. We need much less than we think we need.
7. I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
8. I’ve learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.
9. I’ve learned that even when I have pains, I don’t have to be one.
10. Seek patience and passion in equal amounts. Patience alone will not build the temple. Passion alone will destroy its walls.
11. A wise woman wishes to be no one’s enemy; a wise woman refuses to be anyone’s victim.
12. Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away.
13. If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform one million realities.
15. If you’re always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be.
Perhaps the most timely of them all…
16. Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but has not solved one yet.